Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Tripleberry Smoothie Recipe

So, I got a very fancy Vitamix for my birthday... which totally intimidated me, so I left it in the box and had no idea what to do with it for a couple months. I have finally settled on this as my first "blogworthy" official recipe because the other two I tried to make were not very good. THIS one, however, is amazing and (to me) tastes just like Orange Julius' Tripleberry Smoothie, which is my favorite. They make other good ones, I just never order them! ;)

Ingredients:

2 cups Coconut Milk (add more if needed)

2 - 3 cups Frozen Cherry Berry Blend 
(Strawberries, Cherries, Blueberries, Blackberries, etc.)

1/2 - 1 cup frozen or fresh chopped kale

1 Cutie (mandarin orange) or 1/4 cup orange juice

1/2 Banana

1 tbs. Hemp Seeds (optional) or Protein Powder, etc.


5 - 6 Pitted Dates (chopped or snipped, as a dried fruit)


4 - 5 Ice Cubes


Honey (optional)


Recipe:

Add ingredients in the order your blender manufacturer recommends. Mine recommends liquids first, followed by dry ingredients, and ice last. Vitamix recommends beginning all recipes on variable 1, and slowly moving up. I begin with variable 1 - 3 for about 15 seconds, variable 4 - 5 for 15 seconds, variable 5 - 7 for 15 seconds, then variable 8 - 10 for 15 seconds. This will result in a very "smooth" smoothie. Blend for more or less time depending on your texture preference. Makes 2 - 3 drinking glass sized smoothies. Enjoy immediately, refrigerating will cause it to separate a bit and it doesn't seem to "keep" well, although I haven't tried freezing it yet. 


I used a generic frozen Cherry Berry Blend, and have added in frozen blackberries as well. Feel free to use whatever berries you like. Keep in mind, this recipe is dairy-free and nut-free, depending on what milk you use, but the coconut milk is amazing in this! It's also nutritionally boosted with kale and the protein in the hemp seed, which is optional, of course. I got the pitted Deglet Noor dates and Hemp Seeds from Costco. Feel free to use whatever milk or additives you'd like. If I accidentally add too many berries or kale it will need a bit more sweetness - Try adding either more dates or a teaspoon or so of honey. The photo above shows this recipe halved, for just me. The recipe I've provided serves about 2 - 3 people, and it'll go fast! P.S. My kids LOOOOVE this smoothie! I think it's a great way to sneak in some veggies (you cannot taste the kale!), and you'll love it, too!





No comments:

Post a Comment